Student-Friendly OMT Course Offerings
During our first two preclinical years, our respective COMs provide us an osteopathic foundation atop which we can develop our practice. Many students choose to seek out further osteopathic training to add depth and proficiency to one’s clinical approach and OMT skillset. This continued learning can come in several forms: osteopathic student fellowship, OMM clinical rotations, NMM residencies/fellowships, and student-friendly CME courses.
CME courses provide unique opportunities to students to enhance their skills throughout their entire training. Many students and residents take advantage of these courses and the commonly provided student discounts and scholarships available. Courses are found at numerous locations around the country, offered continuously throughout the year.
To Find Upcoming OMT CME courses, here are links to the organizations which provide regularly updated listings:
- American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO): Upcoming Events
- The American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO) is a 501c(3) non-profit membership association. The members consist of: doctors of osteopathy (DOs), supporters and affiliates, sponsors, osteopathic medical students (OMS) and international members. The AAO was granted affiliation by the American Osteopathic Association in 1938. The AAO staff facilitates teleconference meetings, an annual convocation and educational seminars for the osteopathic medical profession. The Academy's website provides resources to the public and to members, and it provides an online store to purchase materials.
- The Osteopathic Cranial Academy: Upcoming Courses
- The Osteopathic Cranial Academy (OCA) is a component society of The American Academy of Osteopathy (AAO). The Mission of the Osteopathic Cranial Academy, a nonprofit membership organization, is: To teach, advocate and advance Osteopathy, including Osteopathy in the Cranial Field, as envisioned by Andrew Taylor Still MD and William Garner Sutherland DO.
- Sutherland Cranial Teaching Foundation: Upcoming Courses
- The charter of the Sutherland Cranial Teaching Foundation calls for the organization to dedicate itself to educational activities. It specifically states its objective as using its resources to establish the principles of osteopathy in the cranial field as conceived and developed by William Garner Sutherland, to disseminate a general knowledge of these principles and the therapeutic indication for this approach to treatment, to encourage and assist physicians in osteopathy, and to stimulate continued study and greater proficiency on the part of those practicing osteopathy in the cranial field.
- Osteopathy's Promise to Children (OPC):Upcoming Courses
- The faculty of OPC’s CME programs are some of the most well known and skilled teachers in the profession. All of the current faculty were hand picked and trained in the unique osteopathic approach developed by Viola M. Frymann, DO, one of the nations leading osteopathic physicians and a direct student of Dr. Sutherland, the founder of cranial osteopathy. This program is administered by OPC and many of the faculty have been teaching for OPC for more than 20 years.
- Traditional Osteopathic Studies with James Jealous, D.O.: Upcoming Courses
- Osteopathy in the cranial field has been the primary interest in Dr. James Jealous' life since 1966. The creation of the Biodynamics Program came from a deep love and respect for the Soul of Osteopathy. Through the help and kindness of exceptional teachers and years of personal interest, the beauty of Primary Respiration has become a moment to moment reality in his life. As a therapeutic tool Primary Respiration is uniquely complete in its Wholeness. It spans every dimension of the Healing Arts.
- American Fascial Distortion Model Association (AFDMA): Upcoming Courses
- The Fascial Distortion Model (FDM) is an anatomical perspective, originated by US physician Stephen Typaldos, D.O., in which “the underlying etiology of virtually every musculoskeletal injury (and many neurological and medical conditions) is considered to be comprised of one or more of six specific pathological alterations of the body’s connective tissues (fascial bands, ligaments, tendons, retinacula, etc.). As a model, the FDM is an abbreviated interpretation of the pathology of fascial injuries and contemplates the structural consequences of orthopedic, medical, surgical, and manipulative interventions.”
- Jones Institute (Counterstrain): Upcoming Courses
- Established in 1988 by Dr. Lawrence Jones and Randall Kusunose, PT, OCS, the Jones Institute offers post-graduate Strain Counterstrain seminars for health care professionals throughout the United States. Dr. Jones developed this innovative approach for the treatment of neuromuscular and musculo-skeletal disorders in the 1950’s. The Jones Institute is the only organization that provides instructors who are certified and authorized to teach the Strain Counterstrain technique by Dr. Jones and the Jones Institute.
- Chikley Health Institute: Upcoming Courses
- Established by French-borne Dr. Bruno Chickly MD, DO, the Chikley Institute offers post-graduate lymphatic drainage therapy training (LDT). The LDT1 course takes traditional lymph drainage techniques and adds a level of precision. LDT is the first technique that enables practitioners to detect and palpate the specific rhythm, direction, depth and quality of the lymph flow anywhere in the body. Skilled practitioners with developed listening skills can practice Manual Lymphatic Mapping (MLM) of the lymphatic vessels.
- * They offer large discounts for full-time-enrolled osteopathic medical students.
- The Barral Institute: Upcoming Courses
- Established by French-borne Dr. Jean-Pierre Barral, D.O. The Barral Institute is a health education, training and research organization dedicated to the advancement of Visceral Manipulation, Nerve Manipulation and related Manual Therapies. The Barral Institute works to better understand and validate the therapeutic effect of these hands on therapies; conducts workshops nationally and internationally to educate and train healthcare practitioners in the proper techniques and promotes education to the general public about the existence and therapeutic value of these modalities.
Know of any other great OMT training programs that are not listed? Let us know! OPP@studentdo.org.